Thursday, July 7, 2016

Nicotina es Primavera - Animal Cerámico (2016)

This is a masterpiece. It is indeed so rare to come across so balanced pieces of music, regardless of the style or perspective. Nicotina es Primavera (what a name, what connotations it is invoking to an ex-smoker) is a highly energetic bunch of creatives from Peru and Argentina. On the first couple of listens I roughly categorised their output within the Avant-prog frame being both correct and misleading. The "genre" is so loose in its meaning that anything could practically fit in.

It is the blend that counts (not a smoking pun I assure you). Animal Cerámico is as adventurous as the best ones within the genre, and also much more than that. It is possible that my Avant-prog knowledge(as well as its sub-genres) is limited and I'm set to take the hit. Being a balanced album, the ranging disciplines flow from chamber music to Rock in Opposition, to free jazz (although the improvs sound more constructed than abstract). Everything is intertwined at points and is certainly executed at its highest caliber. Add that if they told me this is a live recording I'd fall for it.


If I had to draw a certain parallel, I would say that it reminds me more of a sunny and optimistic Univers Zero than anything else. This though does not do any justice, since I find Nicotina... to be absolutely unique. The dissonances, the melodies and the contrapuntal and often complex harmonies here support the light rather than the darkness. I needed that. I'm also not sure when I last listened to an outfit that employs its dynamics so well, so inventively. Or that interchanges between styles, patterns and rhythmic intelligence so smoothly. I dare say it again, this is a masterpiece!!


Be a part of their energy here:




Last but not least, the lads and lassies offer their work for free to those who will appreciate it. Give it a listen and if you like it (if you've read so far you will), support their genius!!

Buy the album, embrace the artist!!! You can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment